A delicious, homemade-from-scratch strawberry cake with a thick cream cheese frosting and garnished with sugared strawberries. The perfect cake for Mother’s Day!
Right in time for Mother’s Day, I’ve got you covered for dessert. This strawberry cake is relatively simple to make (no worrying about different pans and layering cakes with frosting in between), moist and flavorful, packed with strawberries, and looks super pretty to boot! And after your mom goes crazy over this cake, then you’ll want to use this recipe for all kinds of occasions – a baby shower (for a girl), a Princess party, a gorgeous Spring/Summer cake…there are so many times when you’ll need a delicious-from-scratch pink cake!
And oh my gosh the frosting + sugared strawberries on top is pure bliss. I mean cream cheese and strawberries – is there a better combo?! And topped with sugared strawberries? Yes, yes, yes!
Slight transition here because this is my last post of the week…I’m wishing you all a very happy Mother’s Day! Well, not you guys, but yeah 🙂 Happy, happy Mother’s Day! I’m so grateful for my mother (and continue to be more and more grateful as I’m trying to raise this cute little guy of mine.) My mom is so special to me and someone that I look up to a whole lot. She’s absolutely one of the most self-less people I’ve ever met; absolutely everything was about us kiddo’s growing up. And she had SEVEN of us crazies! I’m grateful for everything she taught me and continues to teach me!
I’m also so grateful for all the other women in my life that have been like mother’s to me. My mother-in-law is top of that list and has treated me like a daughter since I’ve known her which is pretty special to me. She’s a whole lot of fun and she did raise one of the cutest, sweetest guys around that just happens to be my husband. IS the sap killing you yet? Because I’m not even done. I’m also especially grateful to the several women that were “mom’s” to me while we lived so far from home – they helped me transition into becoming a mom and were there for me as friends – such amazing people in my life that I am forever grateful to!
I’m so grateful and it would be a shame to not share it here on the blog. Because I am also grateful for YOU! Happy Mother’s Day – eat some yummy strawberry cake for me! xox
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups + 3 tablespoons white flour
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jell-o mix dry
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk mixed with lemon juice–check notes
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) full-fat cream cheese at room temperature, don’t use low fat
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4- 4 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
- Beat the room temperature butter with hand mixers until light and creamy. Slowly add in the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy,
- In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs and then add the mixture and mix along with the freshly squeezed lemon juice. Beat in the buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and cornstarch 2-3 times and then add in the jell-o mix, baking soda, and salt. It is important to separate bowls so the cake isn’t over-beaten which will result in a dense cake.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat at low speed until just combined.
- Remove the stems from the strawberries and finely chop. Add in the finely chopped strawberries to the cake.
- Pour the batter evenly in the prepared 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Cool the cake for at least one hour and then chill in the fridge for another hour.
You can find complete recipes of this STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM CAKE in chelseasmessyapron.com