Spaghetti Squash, Quinoa and Parmesan Fritters – delicious, healthy snack that everybody in your family will love!
Quinoa tastes AMAZING in this recipe! If you like quinoa you will like it even more after making these savory mini cakes.
To make these spaghetti squash cakes, you will need to precook the spaghetti squash in the oven as described in the instructions below. IMPORTANT STEP: After you baked the squash, cooled it, and scraped it with a fork to remove the flesh in long strands, wring out the spaghetti squash by wrapping portions of it in paper towels and squeezing hard with your hands over the sink. Be careful not to drop the spaghetti squash into the sink if the paper towel breaks.
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup flour (for gluten free version, use multi-purpose gluten-free King Arthur flour)
- 2 cups spaghetti squash, cooked and wringed out (see below)
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ¼ cup fresh spinach, finely chopped (OPTIONAL)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- dollop of sour cream or Greek Yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit.
- Cut the squash in 2 halves, scrape out the seeds and the fiber out of each half. Spray oil over the cut sides of the squash. Spray the baking sheet with oil and place the squash on the baking sheet cut side down.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes. Remove it from the oven when it’s cooked through and soft, and let it cool. Flip the squash so that cut side faces up – that will speed up the cooling. After squash cools, scrape squash with a fork to remove flesh in long strands and transfer to a bowl. Let it cool.
- Important: Wring out the spaghetti squash by wrapping small portions of it in paper towels and squeezing hard with your hands over the sink. Be careful not to drop the spaghetti squash into the sink if the paper towel breaks. Try to get rid of as much liquid as you can.
- Cooked spaghetti squash can be refrigerated for 5 days. I prefer to cook spaghetti squash, refrigerate it and make fritters the next day or 2 days later – that allows spaghetti squash to drain the liquid out and get dryer, which is preferable for fritters.
You can find complete recipes of this Spaghetti Squash, Quinoa and Parmesan Fritters in juliasalbum.com