Southerners have a love affair with casseroles. Whether it’s a family meal, church function, pot luck, funeral, or holiday, there is often a casserole to be had. Green Bean Casserole tends to get all the fame and glory, but truth be known, it’s Southern Broccoli Casserole that gets all the raves at our house.
Unfortunately, aside from the fact that this casserole is based on a vegetable, and a green one at that, there is absolutely nothing healthy about it. Therefore, I only serve it on special occasions or try and pair it with something light. You see, we southerners delight in taking perfectly fresh, healthy vegetables straight from the garden and cooking them with butter, mayo, cream, and cheese. And we’re unapologetic about it. Try some and you’ll see why. Southern Broccoli Casserole is loaded with creamy, buttery goodness which mainly comes from a hefty dose of mayo and a half stick of butter. Don’t skimp on the mayo, it really makes this casserole. Just promise yourself you’ll run 5 miles tomorrow. It will be worth it.
It’s also full of cheesy goodness (broccoli’s best friend) and a buttery Ritz cracker topping. There’s also one ingredient in this casserole that’s a little out of vogue- a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. Southerners have a tradition of cooking with canned soups, and while we’re appreciative of trends towards cooking with fresh, unprocessed ingredients, sometimes we just need our condensed cream soups for our casseroles. Old habits do die hard after all.
- 6 cups chopped, fresh broccoli florets
- 1 (10¾-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ stick butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 full sleeve Ritz crackers, finely crushed
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket over simmering water. Cover and steam for approximately 5 minutes. Chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, soup, mayonnaise, butter, eggs, onion, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
You can find complete recipes of this Southern Broccoli Casserole in spicysouthernkitchen.com