My father is from Ecuador and he ate Chinese food when he was a child, so he loves it. Here in Spain there weren’t many Chinese restaurants until 2 or 3 decades ago, but I’ve always loved this kind of food, and these vegan spring rolls with sweet and sour sauce are so delicious.
It’s almost impossible to find vegan spring rolls where I live, so I need to make them myself. This recipe is so simple and the sauce tastes amazing, much better than store bought.
This recipe isn’t gluten free, but you can use rice papers instead of spring roll pastry or wrappers. You can also steam your spring rolls, it’s a healthier and lighter version (we’ve fried them) and you can also make summer rolls with rice paper and raw veggies.
For the filling we’ve used garlic, onion, carrot, Chinese cabbage and soy sprouts, but you can use other vegetables and your spring rolls will be delicious too.
We used a wok to cook the filling, but you can also use a frying pan. We always use a wok when we cook Asian recipes, we love it! It’s easier to cook these kind of dishes and they taste better.
You can see how to make the vegan spring rolls in the photo below. You only have to place wrapper like diamond, place 2 tablespoons of filling near corner, tightly roll the wrapper, fold over left side, fold over right side, paint a little water along the edge and close it up.
We usually eat these spring rolls with vegan Chinese fried rice, we’ll share the recipe with you soon! You can eat the rolls with tamari or soy sauce, but we prefer sweet and sour sauce.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 4 leaves of cabbage
- 1 ounce or 30 grams soy sprouts
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 8 sheets spring roll pastry
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a wok (1 tablespoon is enough), add the vegetables (the sliced garlic, julienned onion, carrots and cabbage, and soy sprouts) and the tamari sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- You can see how to make the vegan spring rolls in the sixth photo of this post. You only have to place wrapper like diamond, place 2 tablespoons of filling near corner, tightly roll the wrapper, fold over left side, fold over right side, paint a little water along the edge and close it up.
You can find complete recipes of this Simple Vegan Spring Rolls in simpleveganblog.com