I LOVE the flavors that go hand-in-hand with autumn baking. Apples and cinnamon, caramel, and pumpkin…ahhhh. This is my favorite season. ;0) – We have a few fall favorites in our recipes section, but this delicious homemade Pumpkin Spice Cake from scratch tops the list. It’s the perfect blend of spices & pumpkin…it is tender and flavorful, and with our spiced cream cheese frosting, there is just nothing better!
If you’ve been searching for a wonderful homemade pumpkin spice cake recipe–I’m happy to tell you that this is the one!
- 2 3/4 cups (360g.) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5g) baking soda
- 2 teaspoons (6g) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons (2g) nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (3g) salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) (170g) unsalted butter – do not soften in the microwave – I cut mine into 1/2 inch slices onto waxed paper on the countertop, leaving out only 5 to 6 minutes, you do not want it to be too soft. If it does get too soft refrigerate for a few minutes.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (54g) vegetable oil
- 1 can (15oz/425g) pumpkin ( not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup (121 g) milk
- 1 teaspoons (6g) vanilla extract
FOR THE SPICED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) (382 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 packages (339 g) cream cheese (no need to soften to room temp)
- 2 teaspoons (4g) cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (1g) nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (2g) *sift if clumpy
- 6 – 6 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons (8g) vanilla extract
This recipe uses the reverse creaming method.)Preheat oven to 350. Grease & flour three 8 inch pans.
- In your mixing bowl add the dry ingredients (flour and the next seven ingredients). With the mixer on low speed, mix the dry ingredients for 30 seconds so all will be well blended. Add the pieces of butter a few slices at a time. Mix until the dry ingredients are moistened by the butter and look like coarse sand. If you pinch some of the mixture between your fingers it will stick together. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
In another bowl combine eggs, oil, pumpkin, milk and vanilla. Whisk until well blended, set aside.
You can find complete recipes of this PUMPKIN CAKE (SCRATCH RECIPE) in mycakeschool.com