It’s Pi Day! It’s Pi Day! Hoorayyyy for Pi!
In case you aren’t a big science nerd like I am, you might not be aware that today is Pi Day, or perhaps you do know, but you just don’t get excited about it like we science nerds do. That’s totally ok, because no matter how you feel about Pi, you get to enjoy this glorious PIE recipe to help celebrate.
Aaaaand St. Patrick’s Day is in 3 days, so this green (no bake) pie is appropriate for celebrating all of the things this week.
Ok, so I’ve talked before about the fact that I don’t really love pie, but what I do love is a pie with a crust that is made of crushed Oreos. And mint Oreos at that. And one that I don’t need to actually bake. Could this pie be off to a better start?! I don’t really think so.
This pie may be the easiest pie you ever make. Ever. Seriously. Just to give you an idea of how easy: it completely slipped my mind that Pi Day was today, and my equally nerdy coworkers asked me on Friday if I was planning to bring a pie for them on Monday, and if said pie would be on the blog in time to celebrate. Uhh… Oops?
- 18 Mint Oreos (regular is fine), crushed (about 2 cups)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup heavy cream (or heavy whipping cream)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 8 drops green food coloring (if desired)
- 1 and ½ cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Place the crushed Oreos in a medium size bowl and drizzle the melted butter evenly over the cookies. Stir to mix completely, then press evenly into the bottom of a 9″ springform pan (a regular 8″ or 9″ pie plate will work just fine as well). Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In a medium size bowl with a hand mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form (about 3-4 minutes; see this tutorial for step-by-step instructions for homemade whipped cream). Place bowl in the refrigerator (or transfer to smaller bowl if using a stand mixer) until ready to use.
You can find complete recipes of this No Bake Mint Chocolate Chip Pie in freshaprilflours.com