Summer has officially begun in my book. We were soaring high in 106 degree temperatures over the weekend, so I thought I was going to die of heat stroke…. or sweat to death. Looks like we’ll be spending a lot more time at the lake this year 🙂 With all the heat, I thought an ice cream treat was in order. Luckily, I had all the ingredients to make this amazing Fried Ice Cream Dessert. It mimicks the regular deep-fried ice cream that is served at Mexican restaurants. It is one of my favorite desserts ever! There’s no deep-frying involved with this version, just a quick pan-fry to make the amazing crust that coats a dreamy, cinnamon ice cream combo! Gah! SO. GOOD! Serve it with drizzles of chocolate syrup and caramel sauce, and you’ll be transported to heaven 😉
- 3 cups crushed Corn Flakes cereal
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 (1.75 quart) container Vanilla ice cream
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- Chocolate syrup
- Caramel sauce
- Take the vanilla ice cream out of your freezer and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or so, to soften.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet, over medium heat. Add the crushed corn flakes and sugar. Stir to combine. Fry mixture for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until cereal is golden-brown. *Be careful not to burn. It may take less than 5 minutes*
- Take a 9×13 baking dish and spread 1/3 of the corn flakes mixture into the bottom of pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the softened vanilla ice cream and cool whip. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Using a spatula, stir and mix well to combine. Spread ice cream mixture over the top of the corn flake mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the remaining corn flake mixture evenly over the ice cream. Drizzle the honey over the top. Cover pan, and place in freezer. Freeze ice cream for at least 5 hours, or overnight.
You can find complete recipes of this MEXICAN “FRIED” ICE CREAM DESSERT in life-in-the-lofthouse.com