Key Lime Pie Lasagna is cool, light and creamy summer dessert with sweet and tart layers of yumminess.
If you want a perfectly refreshing treat for these warm days, this Key Lime Pie Lasagna will equally satisfy the lovers of traditional key lime pie, as well as lovers of ice cream and cheesecake. This dessert is perfect for summer parties and barbecue because it is very easy and refreshing and it always comes good after a heavy meal.
Maybe the name seems a little confusing, but this dessert consists of four tasty layers. The crust is buttery shortbread layer flavored with chopped nuts. The second layer is cheesecake, and after that is the best part, key lime pie filling and in the end whipped topping sprinkled with many crispy nuts. You can choose your favorite nuts: cashews, macadamia nuts, pecans, but by no means skip this part, because the nuts make the dessert perfectly creamy and crunchy at the same time.
By now you have surely tried a dessert such as Chocolate Lasagna, Lemon Delight or Lemon Lush, and maybe you even remember my Pumpkin Lasagna. If you want to try another citrus flavor, here is the perfect chance. You will need the oven for just a short time for the shortbread crust, and the rest is no bake dessert.
The truth is, for this Key Lime Pie Lasagna you will need a little more time, since key lime pie layer is not made of instant pudding, but from real homemade key lime pie custard. But, you won’t regret it, I promise. True, instant pudding mix is very tasty, but they can’t be compared to the filling cooked with butter, eggs and freshly made key lime juice. You don’t need much time for cooking, but you must wait for the custard to cool off in the fridge for a few hours.
Key Lime Pie Lasagna can be served also as a frozen treat. To me, it is even more tasty when it’s cold. You can even make it a few days in advance and keep it in the freezer. It defrost very quickly and you will be able to cut nice, clean slices and serve it to your guests.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter-melted
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts –chopped very finely (you can use chopped cashews, pecans…)
For cheesecake layer:
- 6 oz. cream cheese- softened
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup whipped topping
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For key lime layer:
- 2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup key lime juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks-slightly beaten
- 5 Tablespoon butter
- green food coloring-optional
- 1 1/2 cup whipped topping
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1/3 cup nuts-chopped
- Preheat oven at 350 F and spray the bottom of 9×9 inch baking dish.
- In a bowl combine crust ingredients and stir until well combined and crumbly, then press it into the bottom of baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. Fold in 1 cup whipped topping and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and spread over cooled crust. Set in the fridge.
- In medium sauce pan stir together sugar and corn starch, stir in key lime juice and slightly beaten egg yolks, add butter and bring mixture to a very controlled simmer over medium-low heat stirring almost constantly until thickened ( it should be able to coat the back of a metal spoon) remove from heat, cover with plastic foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
You can find complete recipes of this KEY LIME PIE LASAGNA in omgchocolatedesserts.com