These key lime bars are amazing. They pack a powerful lime punch!
I first made these key lime bars back in 2010 for a women’s event at church. We were doing a dessert bar and I got to experiment with lots of yummy bar cookies. As soon as I took my first bite of these key lime bars I knew they were a winner.
When I made them this past week and my husband took a bite, the first word out of his mouth was , “Wow!” It was a good “Wow!” It was a “these are amazing Wow!” I knew that I was going to have to share these little beauties quickly so I didn’t eat the entire 9 x 13 pan myself!!
The bars are made in 3 layers. The bottom layer is a combination of flour, sugar, butter and chopped pecans. You bake it first for about 15 minutes. Be sure not overbake it as you don’t want to dry these bars out.
You just want them slightly brown around the edges. While they are hot you add a mixture of eggs, sugar. flour, baking powder and key lime juice over the top and then bake some more – about 18 minutes or until it is set.
Now let it cool completely and mix up some powdered sugar, butter, lime peel and more key lime juice.
- 1¾ C all purpose flour
- ¾ C butter, softened
- ⅓ C sugar
- ⅓ C chopped pecans
- 1 ½ C sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 5 Tbsp fresh key lime juice
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2¼ C powdered sugar
- 1½ Tbsp butter, softened
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh key lime juice
- Freshly grated key lime peel
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees
- Combine the crust ingredients except for the pecans into a bowl
- Beat at low speed until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs
- Add in the pecans
- Press mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 pan
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are slightly browned
- You don’t want to over cook it
You can find complete recipes of this Key Lime Bars in yourhomebasedmom.com