I shared my full Vanilla, Passion Fruit and Raspberry cake recipes (featured on Duff Till Dawn) with you not too long ago. But I wanted to give the vanilla cake I had worked so long on formulating it’s own post. It’s kinda special like that. Like your favorite child. Oh, wait. We don’t have those as parents. They are ALL special and equally loved. Accepted. Tolerated… 😉
Finding that every time I wanted to make my vanilla cake I didn’t have the cake flour on hand that it called for, I wanted a GREAT scratch recipe that produced the same results as cake flour recipes – just with all purpose flour. Using all-purpose flour for the full recipe (rather than half and half) never gave me the results desired. So I tweaked, changed this and that, tried a few things and came up with possibly the best EVER vanilla cake. No cake flour needed (our friends over seas will appreciate this!). Without further adieu, some temping pics and the recipe, in friendly print format below.
- 16 oz all purpose flour 3.25 cups for the full recipe
- 2.5 tsp Baking powder
- 22 oz granulated sugar 3 cups for the full recipe
- .75 tsp salt
- 8 oz unsalted butter (1 cup; 2 sticks for the full recipe), room temp
- 1.5 Tbsp vanilla bean paste or good quality real vanilla extract
- 7 each Egg whites large, room temp, (about 1 cup for the full recipe)
- 12 oz milk whole, room temp, (1.5 cups for the full recipe)
- 1 oz Vegetable oil 1/8 cup for the full recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease sides and bottom of 2 – 8” round pans. You can line with parchment on bottom and sides if you wish for easy removal.
- Add all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt) to a stand mixer bowl and mix with a paddle to combine well. This replaces sifting.
- In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients (vanilla bean paste, egg whites, milk, and vegetable oil) and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Turn mixer to low and add chunks of butter slowly to the dry mix. Continue to beat on slow until there are no chunks of butter remaining and the mixture becomes crumbly.
- On low speed, add 1/3 of the liquid ingredients to the dry/butter ingredients and then turn to medium. Mix until a light paste forms. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
You can find complete recipes of this Kara’s Perfect Vanilla Cake in karascouturecakes.com