Beignets – homemade beignets have never been so easy and delicious! This easy beignet recipe is fail-proof and so good you can’t stop eating.
My love affair with beignets started with a Disney audio CD I play for little G in the car. The CD is “The Princess and the Frog” set in New Orleans about a beautiful girl named Tiana who makes legendary beignets. Little G would always ask me what beignets are and that he really wanted to try them. I took matters into my own hands and made these easy homemade beignets. I was very weary as it was the first time I attempted to make beignets at home but just look at the pictures, I think I passed with flying colors!
I did some research on beignet recipes. The traditional recipe yields a dense and doughnut-like texture, with yeast involved. I opted for this beignet recipe made from choux pastry. The reason is simple: I love light, eggy and absolutely addictive choux pastry, and these beignets are basically golden-brown fried choux pastry balls dusted with lots of powdered sugar!
- 1 cup water (8 fl oz, 240 ml)
- 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Large pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- Oil for frying
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Place water, butter, sugar, and salt in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Stir until butter is melted and everything comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Add flour into the mixture, stir to combine well with the butter mixture. Continue to stir and cook until the dough pulls away from the sides and starts to form into a ball, about 1 minute. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the dough with the eggs, start with one egg until the egg is completely incorporated into the dough. Add the rest of the eggs, one at a time. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for one hour. After chilling, shape the dough into small balls using a teaspoon or 1/2 tablespoon. Arrange the dough balls on a plate lined with parchment paper.
You can find complete recipes of this Easy Beignets Recipe in rasamalaysia.com