Happy spring everyone! If you’re like me you’re getting antsy for warm weather, flowers, greenery, spring produce, shorts…I could keep going, but I think you get the point, I am welcoming spring with open arms! Along with spring comes a couple of holidays, starting with Easter. Today I’m sharing this delicious and lightened up Crustless Vegetable Quiche that is a must for Easter brunch or breakfast!
There are so many reasons I adore this quiche. First it’s crustless. Not only does this mean there is a ton less calories and fat, but I also don’t have to mess with a crust. Don’t get me wrong I love the rich traditional quiche every now and then, but with all the other goodies that will be served up with Easter brunch I wanted to make a quiche that was a little lighter.
Second reason I love this crustless vegetable quiche. It’s packed with vegetables, one of them being asparagus, which for me is one of the most delicious spring veggies. Along with the asparagus you will find zucchini, mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes.
I made this quiche vegetarian because if your brunch table looks like ours there will be plenty of meat options to keep the carnivores happy!
Third reason I love this quiche, dairy! We’re talking three kinds. The quiche not only includes milk and cheese, but cottage cheese as well. Uh oh, did I lose some of you? Not a cottage cheese fan? I promise you will never know it’s in there.
It becomes so well incorporated in the eggs, vegetables, and cheese, that you won’t detect it at all. The great thing about the added cottage cheese is the extra dose of protein it gives the vegetable quiche, meaning you’ll be too full for that second cinnamon roll or danish, this is a good thing as far as your waistline is concerned.
- 10 egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 16 ounces fat free cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 tomato, deseeded and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg whites and eggs until fluffy.
- Add in the cottage cheese, 3/4 cup shredded cheddar, 3/4 cup shredded monterey jack, milk, flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, parsley, thyme, black pepper, and hot sauce.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat saute the onion, zucchini, asparagus, mushrooms, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt for about 5 minutes or until tender.
You can find complete recipes of this CRUSTLESS VEGETABLE QUICHE in reciperunner.com