A creamy tortellini bake filled with summer veggies! This bake is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
I can not believe it is June already. Where has this ENTIRE year gone?! Time goes by way too quickly!
HOWEVER… it is nice to be here at summer and already enjoying some very summery foods 🙂 I broke out the healthy zucchini bread last week along with a few frozen desserts (this lemon berry slush being my favorite!) already. I’m in full-blown summer mode now!
And the babe is loving summer. He’s outside pretty much all the time and loves exploring AKA throwing dirt and rocks everywhere. We’ve also got to babysit my in-laws little dog (Mazie) while they are vacationing and he’s absolutely crazy about her. Even if the affection is not quite returned… In fact, poor Mazie is terrified of little Grey.
But back to speaking of summery foods, doesn’t this meal just scream summer?
Tons of summer veggies (that could be coming from your garden if you are super cool like that!), a lighter creamy base, and pasta in it’s very best form (tortellini obviously!).
Plus it’s a pretty simple meal which is perfect for summer when you really just want to be outside enjoying the weather instead of inside slaving over a meal all day.
Also, the great news for this dish is you can pretty much pick and choose what veggies you add in here. I say, the more different kinds of veggies the merrier, but I’m quite the veggie lover.
If you are not, pick your favorites and just increase the amounts to the total amounts I have listed in the recipe.
- 1 ounces package frozen cheese-filled tortellini 19
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 cup carrot ~1 medium sized
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 3/4 cup sweet bell peppers 2 small sized
- 1 cup summer squash
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 ounces can corn 15
- 1 tablespoons and 1/2 butter
- 1 tablespoons and 1/2 flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable or tomato broth
- 1 cup milk I used 1%
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 ounces package cream cheese 8
Top it off:
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated mozzarella cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish and set aside.
- Prep the veggies: trim the snap peas, peel and coin the carrot, thinly slice the mushrooms, chop the peppers, chop the summer squash, halve the cherry tomatoes, and rinse & drain the corn.
- Prepare the tortellini according to package directions. In the last minute of boiling the noodles, add in the sugar snap peas and carrots.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a skillet. Over medium heat sauté the mushrooms, peppers, and summer squash until crisp tender.
You can find complete recipes of this CREAMY TORTELLINI VEGETABLE BAKE in chelseasmessyapron.com