Thick and fudgy brownies layered with sweet mint frosting and easy chocolate ganache. The classic mint chocolate combination!
Recipe #3 of the Christmas Cookie Palooza combines the mighty forces of mint and chocolate. I’m aware that brownies aren’t technically cookies but sometimes dessert just doesn’t have to make any sense. Like a recipe using cookie dough and salty pretzels and a dip in chocolate. No sense. But who cares? PS: make those.
I remember making these brownies for a Christmas party years ago. When I was a single lady without a food blog because food blogs were (are?) nerdy and weird. Along with my swirled chocolate covered pretzels (one of the first recipes published on my blog!), these classic mint chocolate brownies disappeared. Shocking.
I decided to make the mint chocolate brownies again this year for three reasons. I mean three people. Me, Kevin, and my friend Katy who is turning 30 this weekend. We are serious mint chocolate lovers and I know you are too. Common, I know you’ve eaten this mint chocolate frosting with a spoon before too. Or is that just me?
- 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
- 4 large Eggland’s Best eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tablespoons (85g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
- 1/4 cup (21g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
Mint Frosting Layer
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups (240g) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) milk
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons peppermint extract1
- 1 drop liquid or gel green food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter
- 1 heaping cup (around 200g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For the brownies: Melt the butter and chopped chocolate in a medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Or melt in a medium microwave safe bowl in 20 second increments, stirring after each, in the microwave. Remove from the heat, pour into a large mixing bowl, and allow to slightly cool for 10 minutes.
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line the bottom and sides of a 9×13 baking pan1 with aluminum foil or parchment paper, leaving an overhang on all sides. Set aside.
- Whisk the granulated and brown sugars into the cooled chocolate/butter mixture. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla. Gently fold in the salt, flour, and cocoa powder. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 35-36 minutes or until the brownies begin to pull away from the edges of the pan. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with only a few moist crumbs when the brownies are done. All ovens are different, so keep an eye on them after 30 minutes and use the toothpick test to see when yours are finished. Allow the brownies to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack. Once completely cooled, lift the foil out of the pan using the overhang on the sides. Place the whole thing on a baking sheet as you make the frosting. Do not cut into squares yet.
You can find complete recipes of this Classic Mint Chocolate Brownies in sallysbakingaddiction.com