Chocolate Crinkle Cookies – best, homemade, classic Christmas holiday cookies recipe! Sweet, fudgy and loaded with cocoa and sugar.
Chocolate crinkle cookies often show up around the holidays. I particularly love the cracked look and the contrast of the powdery white against the dark cocoa. It leaves a lasting impression that makes them ideal for gifting them to neighbors for Christmas. Why not, since this recipe makes so many.
If you’ve never tried one, these cookies have almost a brownie-like texture. A bit chewy, they are still light despite the richness of the cocoa. If you feel like mixing it up, try substituting 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract with peppermint extract. It creates an entirely new type of cookie.
Now for the technical stuff. I’ve had people ask me how I get these cookies so white. My trick is to coat it with a ton of powdered sugar before baking. It almost looks like the sugar will fall off. This ensures the cookies don’t absorb the powdered sugar during bake time.
- 1 cup (120 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) baking powder
- 2 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50 g) powdered sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cocoa, granulated sugar and oil on medium speed. Reduce the speed to low and add 1 egg at a time until combined. Mix in the remaining ingredients in the order listed, for the exception of the powdered sugar. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and coat with powdered sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow the cookies to rest on the hot cookie sheet for one minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
You can find complete recipes of this Chocolate Crinkle Cookies in rasamalaysia.com