I have recently become obsessed with spaghetti squash, do you love it too? I have realized that you can really cook anything in it, and everything tastes good mixed with spaghetti squash…it’s amazing. I wanted to stuff some broccoli into this bad boy, and then knew it needed some cheese…so, here we have Broccoli & Cheese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash.
I like Spaghetti Squash for a multitude of reasons; it’s low in calories, you get a lot of squash inside these, it tastes delicious, it’s healthy, and it’s easy to cook. I mean, I could go on, but these are the high points for me. I had a little bit of trouble finding the exact calorie count of a whole spaghetti squash, but I think I got pretty accurate with my results. I’ve been trying hard to lose weight, so I am keeping track of everything I eat using My Fitness Pal (friend me!), and I need to have those numbers as close as possible to what they really are.
After calculating the calories in the entire recipe, there were 314 calories per serving (see nutritional breakdown at the bottom)…and per serving I mean half the squash…that’s right, you can eat a loaded half for 314 calories. You can eat it alongside your favorite main dish; This would go great with any meat, a veggie burger, or alone. Both my husband and I had half, and we were both stuffed. They are super tasty, easy to make, and healthy. Have more than 2 people eating or want to make extra for later? Just double the recipe, super simple!
- 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half, seeds removed
- non stick spray
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Italian season (or use a mix of oregano, basil, thyme)
- 1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese (I like to shred my own)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- In a microwave save dish, place your squash halves side by side. Add about 1/4 cup water to the bottom of the dish (water should be covering the bottom, but not more than 1/4 inch high). Place into microwave and cook on high for 9-11 minutes, or until squash is tender** Remove, and set aside for about 10 minutes to cool.
- In a skillet coated with nonstick spray, add red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add broccoli and garlic, stirring to combine. Add about 2 TBS water to the skillet, and turn up the heat. Saute for 3-5 more minutes, or until the chopped broccoli is tender. Add mixture to a large bowl, discarding any left over water.
You can find complete recipes of this Broccoli & Cheese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash in domesticsuperhero.com