Family-friendly black bean spinach quesadillas make for a delicious and quick meatless Monday meal. This recipe, courtesy of the Calories In, Calories Out Cookbook, calls for black beans, fresh baby spinach and mushrooms–but feel free to switch them out for your family’s favorite veggies.
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces (240 grams) cremini mushrooms, rinsed, stems trimmed, and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 4 cups (6 ounces or 135 grams) loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 cup (160 grams) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh or jarred jalapeño chiles, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (approx. 9-10″ in diameter) or smaller corn tortillas
- 1 cup (120 grams) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 20 seconds, then add the mushrooms and chili powder and saute, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are light golden and most of the juices have evaporated.
- Add spinach and stir until wilted, then add the black beans and jalapeños (if desired) and stir well until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper, transfer to bowl, and set aside. Wipe skillet with paper towel and set aside.
- Lay the tortillas on a flat surface. Sprinkle one half of each round with an equal amount of cheese, then divide the mushroom filling equally over the cheese. Fold each tortilla in half.
- Reheat the skillet over medium heat.
- Place one of the quesadillas in the skillet (add a second one if it fits) and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until the cheese melts and the inside is warm.
- Continue to cook the remaining quesadillas. Serve promptly.
You can find complete recipes of this Black Bean Spinach Quesadilla in blog.myfitnesspal.com