Last night I made one of my favorite dinners—steak salad. Generally, I fix it the same way every time since it’s such a comforting meal to me. However, I wanted to switch it up a bit and had an assortment of veggies hanging out in my fridge. One of those vegetables was green beans.
I normally pan-fry green beans with onion slices, garlic, and bacon, but last night I decided to experiment by adding the green beans to the salad.
So, I roasted them instead. They turned out delicious! Roasting seriously makes any vegetable taste amazing.
Since I whipped up a batch of my spicy maple balsamic vinaigrette for the steak salad, I decided to coat the beans with balsamic vinegar, which reduced in the oven and intensified the flavor.
Balsamic vinegar is one of my favorite additions to any roasted veggies these days, especially root veggies. I used a similar version of this recipe with onions, beets, parsnips, and carrots awhile back and taught my dad how to make it (along with slow cooker pulled pork) last spring.
He loves, love, loves it!
- 3/4 lb of green beans, ends trimmed and cut in half
- 2-3 teaspoons of genuine extra virgin olive oil (I love THIS California EVOO)
- Sea Salt, to taste (I recommend Pink Himalayan, Celtic or Utah sourced salt)
- Homemade lemon pepper seasoning (or cracked black pepper), to taste
- Granulated garlic, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2-3 teaspoons of good quality, aged balsamic vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Wash, dry and trim off the green bean ends. Snap or cut each bean in half. I did this because I wanted the beans smaller for the salad I was serving it over. If you’d prefer, you can leave the beans whole. If desired, line a large baking sheet or roasting pan with aluminum foil (this is optional) and place the green beans in a pile in the middle. Pour the olive oil over the beans and mix them around so they’re evenly coated. Season to taste with the sea salt, lemon pepper (or cracked black pepper), granulated garlic and crushed red pepper.
You can find complete recipes of this Balsamic Oven-Roasted Green Beans in therisingspoon.com