Apples and cheddar just go together. I’ve always loved the combination.
It’s Monday and time to think about staring the week off on a healthy note after some Superbowl party indulgences.
There are so many wonderful textures and flavors in every bite you can’t help but like it. It’s filling, satisfying, and healthy.
Hearty spinach, crisp juicy apples, salty cheese, chewy orange-flavored dried cranberries, and Fisher Natural Sliced Almonds for extra crunch. February is heart health month and Fisher has nine products certified by the American Heart Association as heart healthy.
I made a simple shake-it-together vinaigrette that’s tangy-yet-sweet from the apple cider vinegar, honey, and mustard. It coats each and every bite perfectly.
Dressings can make or break salads and this one is a keeper. If you have extra, it’ll keep airtight in the fridge for a week.
Salads may not be quite as fun to eat as Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies and warm Chocolate Chip Cookies, but they’re reality if you want to fit into your clothes.
Honestly though this is the food I crave day in, day out.
- about 6 cups fresh spinach
- 1 large apple, cored and sliced very thin (try Envy, Gala, Fuji, or similar)
- 1 cup grated aged white cheddar
- 1/2 cup dried orange-flavored cranberries (I use Trader Joe’s; plain dried cranberries may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup Fisher Natural Sliced Almonds
Honey-Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard (I like either dijon or honey mustard)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Salad – To a large bowl or platter, add all ingredients in the order listed; set aside.
- Honey–Apple Cider Vinaigrette – In a small glass jar or container with a lid, add all ingredients, put the lid on and shake vigorously until combined; taste vinaigrette and tweak as necessary to taste. Drizzle over salad, toss to combine, and serve immediately. If you don’t use all the vinaigrette, extra will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week.
You can find complete recipes of this APPLE, WHITE CHEDDAR, AND SPINACH SALAD WITH HONEY-APPLE CIDER VINAIGRETTE in averiecooks.com